Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Biking and Bonding

As I write this my hands and knees are throbbing with pain. Blood is hardened on my kneecaps. My right wrist feels terribly sprained...actually feels broken, but it still moves and the fingers are typing this almost as fast as usual.

Aaron and I went on our first "bike and bond" ride tonight. We were clipping along with ambitions to go all the way around Lake Overholser. The sun was giving way, finally letting the 100 degree temps fall into the high 90's. The wind was blowing through the hair on our non-helmetted heads. We stopped a couple of times to lake gaze and also check out the new playground the city has built on the West side. It is too cool, lots of slides and fun things for little ones to do. We got back on the bikes and headed out for the last stretch home.

The sun was setting now and I was telling Aaron how Lake Overholser used to just be for drugs and making out but now it is getting so beautiful and useful. There were many bikers out there, lots of couples walking across the dam, just gazing and talking. A few dog walkers, and of course, the everpresent fisherpeople. We laughed and I challenged him to a race which lasted all of about 5-10 seconds. He claimed victory as soon as he had a gain on me.

Then, I saw it. I thought about it. I wondered what the best plan of action would be. I chose to do nothing and when my bike and its inexperienced rider failed to go over the huge, metal hose across the middle of the bike trail I was thrown forward, my bike screeched to a halt and the handlebars flipped around twice. My face was spared the pavement by my hands, my knees were not spared. My whole left arm hit the pavement but didn't come out any worse for the wear.

I thought I was ruined plus my bike wouldn't budge. I figured it was trashed. I called for 3boyzdad to come get me, but he didn't answer. I tried my mom, no answer. Turns out, they were talking to each other! Aaron figured out that my handlebars just needed to be straightened back out. I got on and moaned all the way home about how much my wrist hurts and that I think I may need an X-ray. He reminded me that when he thought his foot was broken I just told him to give it time, it would get better. I explained that since I couldn't feel his foot it wasn't a pressing matter to me, but I could feel my wrist! Aren't I terrible.! It is hard to feel someone else's pain.

Lesson of the day: Wear your helmet, and when you fall off your bike, get right back on.

No comments: