Saturday, August 12, 2006

I feel like I've made some permanent changes in my eating habits, so I thought I would list them here.

1. Changed from regular butter and margarine to fat free. There is one called Promise. It tastes okay. Parkay has a fat free spray-on that has the fake taste of buttered popcorn. It gets me by. It is worth it because I'm saving 7 to 9 fat grams per tablespoon which probably translates into an average of 12 to 18 fat gram savings per day when you think of buttering a roll or two with dinner and maybe having a toast with jelly in the morning.

2. I've tried to kick the coke habit (the cola kind) but it has been tough. I love the first few sips of a cold fresh coke. I found some cola can plastic tops so that you can "close" the can and put it back in the fridge. It saves the fizz a bit better than just sticking an open can in there. So now one 12 oz can of coke can easily lasts me all day. This way I don't feel obligated to drink the whole thing at once.

3. I'm reading nutrition labels and I found this website that has every food imaginable in different portions to measure calories, fat, and protein. It also has a "pantry" where you can save what you've eaten during the day and it will keep a running total. Pretty cool.

4. My portion control has really improved since I started writing down what I was eating. I haven't written it down for a while, but after doing it for over a week or so at the beginning I learned about what I could eat during the day. When I'm starving I eat cereal, fruit or graham crackers. I eat a Lean Cuisine every once in a while because that takes all the guess work out of what I'm eating. If I eat whatever the family is eating for a meal, I know I have to keep the main portion size to about a cup.

5. I changed from 2% milk to 1%. Can't even tell the difference.

No comments: